The European Pillar of Social Rights has been established on the 17th November 2017 by the Parliament, the Council and the European Commission in Göteborg, Sweden.
Main goals are to inform all citizens about the Pillar, to listen to their worries and opinions, and to increase the active participation and the support for social rights.
The European Pillar of Social Rights is based on 20 key principles that can be divided into 3 categories:
- equal opportunities and access to the labour market
- fair working conditions
- social protection and inclusion
In order to achieve the above-mentioned goals, it is necessary to involve as many people as possible and, for this reason, in particular the Communication office of the Directorate General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion (DG EMPL) is committed to enlarge the community of Ambassadors for the Social Pillar.
Collaboration request & Cittadinanzattiva engagement
To reach the highest possible number of citizens, DG EMPL on January 2020 contacted Active Citizenship Network, the EU branch of Cittadinanzattiva, in order to involve Cittadinanzattiva into the initiative.
As shown during the last meeting on 29th of January 2020 in DG EMPL office in Bruxelles, Cittadinanzattiva is very engaged at the national (Italy) and the EU level on social rights, especially on one of the three categories “Social protection and inclusion” and tries to avoid any silos approach in its initiatives.
Given our active participation in favor of active citizenship, the DG EMPL officially extended an invitation to collaborate as Ambassador for the DG EMPL informative campaign. The invitation has been well accepted by Cittadinanzattiva and managed by Active Citizenship Network.
About the European Pillar of Social Rights, the kind invitation received by Cittadinanzattiva in January 2020 by the DG EMPL is in line and it follows the meeting organized in Italy by the EU Commission with key-stakeholders at the national level to discuss the development of the European Pillar of Social Rights.
Invited by Ruth Paserman, past deputy Head of Cabinet of Commissioner Marianne Thyssen, Cittadinanzattiva, through the Responsible EU Affairs and Director of its EU branch Active Citizenship Network, attended the roundtable organized in Rome last 18th Dec. 2017. Attached you can find more details, the list of the participants, the Cittadinanzattiva position paper and the main suggestions provided to the EU Commission.
Both invitations by the EU Commission - in 2017 and 2020 - testify that we are recognized by the EU Institutions as a relevant stakeholder in this issue, as a political actor involved in the implementation of the European Pillar of Social Rights and not only for the communication aspects linked with the social rights.
At the EU level, to better increase the active participation for the European Pillar of Social Rights, our intention is to disseminate the principles of the European Pillar of Social Rights in different contexts at the EU level, starting from our social media channel (i.e. see our dedicated Newsletter to the topic), as well as to facilitate a multi-stakeholder dialogue thanks the MEPs Interest Group promoted inside the EU Parliament. More details here.
At the national level, the issues of Social Rights are addressed in closed cooperation with the Forum on Inequality and Diversity, a “Think and Do” Alliance/Network of which Cittadinanzattiva is Board Member. To know more, for instance, download the Memorandum for post Covid-19 in Italy (EN – IT) as well as the Forum contribution on the “Cohesion policy programming of 2021-2027 (Programmazione della Politica di Coesione 2021 – 2027)” (IT version).
Taking into account the first reflections on building a strong social Europe for just transitions by the EU Commission, and the fact that chronic pain is the number one reason for workplace absenteeism and disability in the EU, ACN is working to organize a public event at the EU Parliament focused on people affected by chronic conditions in the framework of the work environment.
More information about #SocialRights:
Communication materials produced by the DG EMPL:
- Blue Booklet
- Social Europe-Your stories
- Posters 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 -
- EPSR Facebook Group, encouraged to bring together ambassadors, multipliers and stakeholders to share information, thoughts, insights, news and best practices in communicating about social Europe. DG EMPL publishes almost everyday information regarding the Pillar and its 20 principles. The topics are broad: from gender equality, to disability, poverty, inclusion, and education.
(Updated on May 2020)
- Informative campaign on IT Law 38/2010: “WERE NOT BORN TO SUFFER”
- The active role of citizens in the evaluation process: methods, impact and prospects of Civic Evaluation in Italy
- European Civic Prize on Chronic Pain Collecting Good Practices - III edition 2020-2021
- European Pillar of Social Rights & the commitment of Cittadinanzattiva
- Joined For Vaccination: speakers list
- European Pillar of Social Rights & chronic pain
- Joined For Vaccination: addressing Vaccine Hesitancy and Increasing Uptake in EU. A Multi-Stakeholder Perspective
- European Pillar of Social Rights & COVID-19 emergency
- Pain Euro-Mediterranean Coalition (PEMeC) Aliança Euro-Mediterrânica da Dor
- European Pillar of Social Rights & childcare and support for minors
- National consultations: European active citizens for vaccination - 2019
- The role of the European Pillar of Social Rights ambassadors
- The involvement of Active Citizenship Network in SIP
- THE ENGAGEMENT OF CITTADINANZATTIVA IN THE FIGHT AGAINST THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
- The involvement of Active Citizenship Network in SIP SYMPOSIUM 2019
Read all >