In 2016, in the framework of the celebrations for the X European Patients’ Rights Day, Active Citizenship Network has carried out a research in order to gather good practices: concrete examples of actions aimed at reducing waste and inefficiencies in healthcare (waste caused, for example, by: unnecessary services; excessive administrative costs; inefficiently delivered services; prices set too high; fraud; missed prevention opportunities etc.. ) experienced in EU and no EU countries.
1. Geographical impact
This collection allowed us to receive 22 Good Practices.
They come from 10 different countries: Cyprus (1); Germany (1); Kosovo (1); Ireland (1); Italy (3); Netherlands (2); Poland (2); Spain (2); Sweden (3); United Kingdom (6).
2. Source of waste or inefficiency
Most of the reported good practices (19/22) cited as the main source of waste and inefficiency to fight the “inefficiently delivered services”. The “missed prevention opportunities” and the “excessive administrative costs” are reported in 6 cases.
Three times has been cited the inappropriate “medicines use” and the “prices set too high” (for medicines, products, services, workers, etc).
Only three good practices reported about “unnecessary services” and no one about “fraud”.
3. Actors and promoters
The principal actors of the gathered good practices are the “health professional”(14/22), followed by the “health care organizations” (12/22) and “Institution” directly involved in the development of healthcare services. An important role is also played by the universities, patients’ organizations and patients.
The secret of their success often lies in the ability to collaborate among private and public sector.
- Community PRO (Participation Resilience Organizing)
- ATMPs revolution: empowering leaders of EU civic and patients’ advocacy groups
- ENGAGE – Engage Society for Risk Awareness and Resilience
- EUROPEAN PATIENTS’ RIGHTS DAY 2022
- European Pillar of Social Rights & the commitment of Cittadinanzattiva
- European Pillar of Social Rights & chronic pain
- European Pillar of Social Rights & COVID-19 emergency
- European Pillar of Social Rights & childcare and support for minors
- AMR Patient Alliance – developing educational repository for patient and caregiver awareness of drug resistant infections
- The role of the European Pillar of Social Rights ambassadors
- THE ENGAGEMENT OF CITTADINANZATTIVA IN THE FIGHT AGAINST THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
- NIGHTINGALE - Novel Integrated Toolkit for Enhanced Pre-Hospital Life Support and Triage in Challenging and Large and Demanding Emergencies
- The successful experience of Polart Circle
Read all >