Over the years, Active Citizenship Network has been increasing its commitment to promotion and protection of citizens' right in cross border healthcare through the following activities:
- Daily activity: in Italy, with our Tribunal for Patients’ Rights and Citizen Advisory Centres on Health, we provide information, advice and assistance also to the citizens who travel abroad for treatment.
- Cittadinanzattiva has been the only Italian association involved as reviewer for the civic evaluation of the App “European Health Insurance Card” produced by the European Commission and DG SANCO in 2012.
- “Manifesto for the implementation of the Right of European Patients to make an informed choice”, drafted in 2013 with 31 Civic & Patient Associations coming from 13 EU Countries and 2 EU Networks.
- May 2013: “European coordination of patient associations and other stakeholders”, informal EU network coordinated by ACN of 31 Civic and Patient Associations and other stakeholder interested to work together for the implementation of the Directive, sharing information, good and bad practices, etc.
- European tour to talk about the Directive. Public debateswith National Institutions and patient associations to share the experience from several Countries.
- May 2013: “VII European Citizens' Rights Day: patients' involvement and Cross-Border Care”, attended by EU and National Institutions, 40 patient associations, healthcare professionals and stakeholders of EU networks.
- “Make them informed! Ask your State to inform citizens on EU health rights”. Online petition, signed by hundreds of EU citizens to ask their National Parliament to involve the Directive in their legislation.
- October 2013: Presentation to the Italian Institutions of the Report “Care Without Borders: is it possible now?”.
- October 2013: “The right to information and free choice in a European perspective. Patients' Rights Have No Borders”, a report with an updated state of the implementation of the Directive in 12 EU Countries and Civic Recommendations, presented also to the DGSANCO by a delegation of Active Citizenship Network (composed by ten Associations coming from eight countries).
- December 2015: MEPs Interest Group “European Patients' Rights and Cross-border Healthcare”, linked to the request submitted by 100 civic and patient organisations and sent to the EU Parliament in May 2015 to recognise officially the value of citizens’ initiatives.
- 2016-2017: European communication campaign “Patients’ rights have no borders”in 24 Member States.
- May 2016: “Patients’ rights have no borders…as well as risks!”event organized by ACN at the EU Parliament with the aim to encourage a better cooperation between National Contact Points and civic & patient associations in order to guarantee a greater impact of the Directive 2011/24/EU.
- 2016-2017: European communication campaign “Patients’ rights have no borders”in 24 Member States
- March 2017: “Exploring areas and benefits of cooperation in cross-border healthcare to protect patients’ rights” event organized by ACN at the EU Parliament with the aim to share case histories and present the publication “Patients’ rights have no borders”.
- Feb 2018: "Cross-border healthcare and centers of excellence to enhance patients' rights: access, information and innovation". Event organized by ACN at the EU Parliament with the aim to advance to EU Institutions and relevant stakeholders the concrete proposal to encourage, for each ERN, the establishment of a multi-stakeholder group of interest, opened to all the actors already involved in the Cross-border healthcare and in the implementation of its Directive.
- October 2018: IBMT, the first Italian B2B on Medical Tourism. The event took place in Milan, Italy. IBMT is an interactive workshop in which buyers and suppliers in the field of medical tourism are brought together in order to perform networking meetings and activities. Without a doubt, this kind of workshop represents the most efficient business event because all participants’ time and energies are spent for one-on-one meetings with really interested potential clients. Click here to download ACN’s presentation “IBMT - Patients’ rights have no borders. A civic perspective”.
- November 2018: ACN supported and participated in the panel of the CBBA – Europe Annual Conference “Cross-border healthcare solutions: A Pan-European overview”. The Cross Border Benefits Alliance-Europe (CBBA-Europe) is a Brussels-based advocacy organization, aimed at promoting the creation and development of cross-border/pan-European employee benefit plans in Europe, including – but not limited to – pensions, healthcare, disability, long-term care, or programs for the well-being/wellness of people in the workplace and private life. Click here to download the agenda and ACN’s presentation “Patients’ rights have no borders:” A civic perspective”
- December 2018: "Enhancing Healthcare Cooperation in Cross-border Regions" Conference. Event organized by the European Commission on 4 December 2018 to present the results of a pioneering mapping study of successful cooperation projects and its toolkit for practitioners interested in setting up cross-border cooperation themselves.
- 2019: Active Citizenship Network is supporting the development of the thematic network "Healthcare in Cross-Border Regions", led and promoted by EUREGHA and Healthacross. The Thematic networks are collaborative network that bring together different stakeholder organisations to produce joint statements on health related developments. The network is hosted on the EU health policy platform and supported by DG SANTE. The “Healthcare in cross-border regions” thematic network aims to support the European Commission in its exercise of mapping and building cross-border and regional cooperation in healthcare through the identification of crucial challenges and successful existing experiences to be scaled up.
- Rare Disease Day 2019:
Follow our engagement through social media activity, and read the interview with the Secretary General of Cittadinanzattiva (29 Feb. 2019)
2019: On June 4th, 2019 the European Court of Auditors (ECA) published a performance audit on EU action on cross‐border healthcare. In this context, ACN has been invited to the closed meeting organized by the ECA in order to discuss the results together with other relevant stakeholders. Indeed, has been recognized the importance of ACN commitment in the Cross-Border Healthcare field, also thanks to the European communication campaign “Patients’ rights have no borders”, carried out in 2016-2017 with the involvement of 31 associations in 24 countries, and the work of the “MEPs Interest Group “European Patients’ Rights & Cross-Border Healthcare”, established in 2015.
To read the full report click here. To read the press article published with our data and statements (IT), please click here. To read the press release (IT), please click here.
- National consultations: European active citizens for vaccination - 2019
- The successful experience of Polart Circle
- The involvement of Active Citizenship Network in SIP
- Active in Europe: Advocacy Prospects in the Aftermath of the European Elections
- The involvement of Active Citizenship Network in SIP SYMPOSIUM 2019
- Initiatives, tools & performing arts to increase participation: focus on healthcare
- European Civic Prize on Chronic Pain Second edition 2018-2019 Award Ceremony
- Polart Circle
- European active citizens for vaccination - 2019
- Improving patients’ rights in the age of the Cross Border Healthcare Directive
- The Engagement of Cittadinanzattiva-Active Citizenship Network on Therapeutic Adherence
- Improving patients’ rights in the age of the Cross Border Healthcare Directive
- Our policy on patient safety: focus on Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs) and Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR)
- From Citizen Involvement to Policy Impact (U-Impact)
- TOWARDS HIGHER PATIENT SAFETY IN EUROPEAN HOSPITALS. Innovation in hygiene and sanification to reduce healthcare associated infections and antimicrobial resistance
Read all >