Cittadinanzattiva has a more than 30 year experience in the protection of citizens' rights in the health sector, which initiated with its Tribunale per i diritti del malato ("Tribunal for Patients' Rights" or TDM) in 1980 and was later strengthened through the Coordinamento nazionale Associazioni Malati Cronici (National Coordination Centre of Chronic Patients' Associations) in 1996.
Over the last 20 years, it has been increasing its contributions for the promotion and protection of citizens' rights in the fields of vaccination:
- Collection and dissemination of best practiceswith many editions of national prizes on humanization.
- Promotion of information and awareness raising campaignsfor the citizens.
- Actions designed to promote cultural changes, though panels organised with health workers, health corporations, institutional representatives; position paper on vaccination policies, guide etc.
- Institutional mediation, aimed at strengthening the protection of rights
- Production of citizens' information, i.e. information directly produced by citizens, "based on their point of view, starting from the data directly or indirectly acquired and meant for changing the current state of affairs with a view to effectively improving the protection of citizens' rights and achieving conditions for effective protection" by means of follow-ups, enquiries and citizens' audits.
Each year in Italy we collect an average of 25,000 among complaints and requests of information from patients and citizens. And each year we present different Annual Reports to the Ministry of Health and relevant healthcare stakeholders, providing them a civic point of view about the daily relationship between the National Health System and Italian citizens and describing the state of the art of the access to health services in the different Italian regions also about, of course, vaccination services, coverage etc.
Some of the main examples:
Annual Report on Pharmacies 2018
Our commitment has been appreciated by the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), the Agency of the European Union aimed at strengthening Europe's defense against infectious diseases that, in 2016, has decided to officially include Cittadinanzattiva in the ECDC Technical Advisory Group dealing with vaccine coverage. And as members of this Advisory Group we feel a great responsibility in continuing to commit ourselves to this issue: we believe that a widespread vaccination culture is necessary, particularly to overcome the idea that we only get vaccinated when we are young and, instead, to shift to (a common knowledge linked to) a life-course vaccination approach which prevents a series of diseases even during adulthood.
A few of last Cittadinanzattiva's promoted and implemented initiatives at national level
2018 #Rompilatrasmissione (breack the broadcasting): information campaign on vaccination in Italy
Cittadinanzattiva-Tribunal for patients’ rights has promoted #rompilatrasmissione, an information campaign designed to illustrate citizens the benefits of prophylaxis. With our campaign we want to inform citizens about the existence of vaccines to protect themselves at any age; to report when and for how long they are free, to favor a widespread vaccination culture, which overcomes the obligation and makes the choices of protection through vaccines an aware choice, through correct, scientific and evidence-based information in a more friendly environment of organizations that deliver vaccines across Italy.
Read more, download the guide (IT), see some examples of the social campaign
2018 Vaccination training tour Cittadinanzattiva -Tribunal for patients’ rights realized, in several Italian cities, training seminars opened to their volunteers to provide correct information on the rights and duties in the vaccination field; give concrete answers to citizens' questions, implementing more direct communication and information initiatives; safeguards and monitors the application of the rules. Read more (IT)
November 16th 2018 "Open day" On November 16th 2018 took place an "Open day" in 37 cities of Italian 11 regions: Cittadinanzattiva- Tribunal for Patients’ Rights local offices open to give information on vaccines and help citizens to face any critical issues in this area. Activists and experts met citizens to promote proximity information, distributing useful material and collecting reports in order to offer tools and support to protect themselves. Read more
A few of last Active Citizenship Network's promoted and implemented initiatives at European level
28 February 2018 “The challenges of life-course vaccination to enhance public health protection in Europe: a multi-stakeholder approach” In line with its multi annual commitment on the topic, Active Citizenship Network with this initiative intended to demonstrate what citizens and advocacy groups, in partnership with stakeholders can offer in terms of raise awareness about the phenomenon, enhance the body of knowledge of positive cases and success, and strengthen commitment to this topic. The event was realized in the European Parliament and it has been be hosted by the MEP David Borrelli in the framework of the MEPs Interest Group “European Patients’ Rights & Cross-Border Healthcare”. Read more
6th November 2018 European active citizens advocate for vaccination – EU training seminar ACN organized an European training seminar on the theme of life-course vaccination opened to at 20 selected leaders of civic and patients associations coming from different countries (Belgium, Bulgaria, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Spain, Slovenia, Slovakia, Albania, Kosovo, Croatia, Malta...). The reason was to responds to the need to be more up-to-date and prepared in the face of a phenomenon (the decrease in vaccination coverage) that has returned to topical relevance; to better identify, recognize and struggle the increased external factors that can negatively influence the vaccine policy in EU Member States and have updated information & knowing how to recognize official sources of information. To know more about the initiative click here
7th November 2018 European active citizens advocate for vaccination – Public event at EU Parliament The event organized the 7th of November 2018 by Active Citizenship Network at the EU Parliament was aimed to build a close collaboration and dialogue with European institutions and stakeholders across the health care spectrum to determine how we can work together to a more effective civic society engagement in vaccination policies. The event hosted a well-attended panel discussion that brought together MEPs, the Deputy Director General DG SANTE, the leader of the Joint Action on Vaccination, experts and of course representative of civic society very active on the theme of vaccination. A strong engagement by all stakeholders to tackle issue of low vaccination coverage and equity in access to vaccination has been called. Read more
Martin Seychell, Deputy Director-General for Health and Food Safety, with Mariano Votta, Director Active Citizenship Network and Suzanne Wait, The Health Policy Partnership
Cittadinanzattiva-Active Citizenship Network: documents on the topic
- Download Instant book “Domande e Risposte Sui Vaccini” (IT)
- Download Position Paper (IT)
- Download factsheet (EN)
- Download "A life-course approach to vaccination: adapting European policies" March, 2018 (EN)
- Download an EURACTIVE article (EN) - (FR)
Cittadinanzattiva-Active Citizenship Network participation as panelist in public events on the topic
Exploring the needs and future developments of immunisation records in the EU - Better vaccine policies through coherent evidence - European Health Forum of Gastein 2017
EU-Russia Civil Society Forum April 2018
FEAM Forum workshop on Vaccination - 19 November 2018, Brussels
- TOWARDS HIGHER PATIENT SAFETY IN EUROPEAN HOSPITALS. Innovation in hygiene and sanification to reduce healthcare associated infections and antimicrobial resistance
- Polart Circle
- The Engagement of Cittadinanzattiva on Vaccination
- Improving patients’ rights in the age of the Cross Border Healthcare Directive
- Dialogue between Medicines for Europe and Active Citizenship Network
- Improving patients’ rights in the age of the Cross Border Healthcare Directive
- Value Added Medicine Dialogue
- From Citizen Involvement to Policy Impact (U-Impact)
- Active Citizens in Europe advocate for vaccination - Training Seminar
- Active for Young Professionals
- Active Citizens in Europe advocate for vaccination - Program
- Joint Citizen Action for a Stronger, Citizen-Friendly Union (JoiEU)
- Therapeutic adherence: value the impact for patients and healthcare system (PROGRAMME)
- European Charter of Active Citizenship
- Therapeutic adherence: value the impact for patients and healthcare system (BIO)
Read all >