More than 78 participants from 24 different EU and non-EU countries were connected in occasion of the EU Webinar: “Waiting for the next Council conclusions: focus on adult vaccination”, organized by Active Citizenship Network (ACN) last 6th of December 2022. Our multi-stakeholder online event, hosted by the MEPs Interest Group "European Patients' Rights & CrossBorder Healthcare, was the first EU policy dialogue initiative to discuss the Council Conclusion, officially adopted under the Czech Presidency of the European Council by Health Ministers at the EPSCO Council on 9 December.
The Expert Meeting on Vaccinations - opened also to PAGs representatives and held in Prague on 21 and 22 November - was an excellent opportunity to ensure that vaccines are seen as a lifelong saving rather than a cost.
There is a clear need to consider lifelong vaccination in these policy discussions and we appealed to EU Institutions, during the year, to support the need to also prioritise adult vaccination to help ensure the protection of the most vulnerable and reduce the burden on healthcare systems. The ACN’ event allowed to discuss how we can activate in a synergistic way to support the European institutions' commitment to the vaccination policy across Europe. Here you can find the agenda of the event and addiction documents.
Moderator: Gary Finnegan, Vaccines Today, Editor
- Mariano Votta, Director of Active Citizenship Network
- MEP Fabio Massimo Castaldo, Non-attached Members, Member of the Interest Group "European Patients' Rights & Cross-Border Healthcare", Italy
- Martine Ingvorsen, Policy Officer, Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, European Commission
15:00 Roundtable discussion (including questions & answers from the odience)
- Niyazi Cakmak, Technical Officer (Immunization Programme Strengthening) Vaccine-preventable Diseases and Immunization Programme WHO Regional Office for Europe
- Jakub Gierczyński, Institute for Patients’Rights & Health Education, Alliance "Poland Breaths Healthily, Poland
- Catherine Weil Olivier, Coalition for Life Course Immunisation
- Jane Barratt, Secretary General of the International Federation on Ageing (IFA)
- Paolo Bonanni, Adult Immunization Board (AIB), University of Florence, Italy
15:45 Concluding remarks
- Final thoughts from all panellists
- Next steps by Daniela Quaggia, Senior Project Manager Active Citizenship Network
Under the patronage of the Czech Presidency of the Council of the EU
The event is realized thanks to the support of
To know more:
- Please find the event recording
- Rationale of the initiative
- The Engagement of Cittadinanzattiva in vaccination
- To read the article “EU health ministers aim to improve vaccination at all ages” just published by our media partner VaccinesToday, click here
The event was realized in the framework of the VaccinAction2022 EU project, focused on supporting the need for strengthening adult vaccination in Europe and – starting from the citizens’ and healthcare stakeholders’ perspective - understanding the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and vaccination campaign on the national immunisation plans, protecting the value of the adult immunisation and its gains.
For more information, please write to Daniela Quaggia: